You might have heard doctor recommending the use of Neti-Pot to the patients who complain about nasal congestion. Here we have everything you should know about Neti-Pot.
What is Neti-Pot?
Out of several nasal irrigation methods, the most popular one is Neti-Pot. The pot has been serving sinus patients since years, but its demand has increased considerably in recent years.
A Neti-Pot is basically a flattened teapot-shaped container made up of ceramic or plastic. It’s somewhat like a cross between a teapot and an Aladin’s magic pot. Warm water is filled in the container that flushes or rinses the nasal passage or sinuses. It has a handle on one side to make it comfortable to hold and a spout on the other. The fluid that is filled in the pot contains warm water, baking soda or salt. The size of the pot varies, and every type is easily available over-the-counter in pharmacies.
How does it work?
Neti-Pot has been proved an effective way to relieve sinus problems. It has a proper biological explanation behind it. When water flows through the nasal passage, the thin hair structures called cilia move back and forth to cause movement in the mucus. The mucus moves to the back of the throat to be swallowed or to the nose to be blown out. The cilia move fast and remove all the irritants that leads to sinus problems.
It is advised to ask your doctor the proper way to use a Neti-Pot. You should not try it yourself unless there is someone to guide you.
Important tips you need to know
- Sanitize your hands before you use a Neti-Pot.
- Use sterilized, filtered or distilled water to fill the pot.
- Dissolving non-iodized salt in water can help avoid stinging.
- Clean the Neti-Pot thoroughly with filtered water and dry it using a tissue before and after every use.
- You might face mild nasal irritation while using a Neti-Pot. This is normal and there’s nothing to worry about.
- You should not use a Neti-Pot without consulting your doctor if you have a history of nosebleeds.
- Needless to mention, you should discontinue the use if you note worsening symptoms.
This is the complete information regarding Neti-Pot and its use. You can ask your doctor for Neti-Pot if you too are suffering from sinus symptoms. This will definitely help you through the symptoms and give you some relaxed breath.