Common Eczema Triggers to Avoid
Eczema is very commonly observed skin disease. According to survey records, more than 10 million cases are registered every year. Eczema is commonly known as ‘Atopic Dermatitis.’
- What is Eczema?
- Types of Eczema:
- Symptoms of Eczema:
- Causes of Eczema:
- Tips to Get Away from Triggering of Eczema:
What is Eczema?
Eczema is a skin infection. It results in inflammation, red scars, cracks and itchiness over the skin. It can be seen in any part of the body.
This chronic condition may develop in your body during infancy or childhood. It happens if you have a family history of the same.
This condition lasts differently for different people. Few may be able to escape during their early ages while other may have to suffer till adulthood.
Types of Eczema:
Based on its causes eczema is classified into two main categories :
Contact Dermatitis :
The main cause to trigger this infection is some external or environmental substance. The infection spreads only to the area that came in contact with the substance. You can get rid of the infection by discontinuing the use and contact of the substance responsible for the condition.
This relates to the cause within your body. The cause of your exposure to infection lies within you by birth. The infection may start from one part and spread to complete body. It is not possible to say when can you outgrow the infection. It may end as long as entire lifetime or even in childhood itself.
Symptoms of Eczema:
Some of the general signs of eczema irrespective of its cause and age are as follows:
- The appearance of red dry patches on the skin.
- Itchiness and irritation in the patches.
- If found on the scalp, it makes the scalp also dry and full of
However, the signs and symptoms of eczema differ with age. Symptoms of eczema as per the age are, as follows:
Signs of Eczema in Infants:
- The rashes are commonly seen on scalp and cheeks.
- The rashes may be filled up with fluids.
- The rashes are very itchy. It may lead up to other skin infections.
- The rashes usually have irritation leading to discomfort in kids.
Symptoms of Eczema Above Two Years:
- The rashes appear between the joints. It can be joints of knees, elbow, neck, legs, hands, and buttocks, etc.
- Rashes are usually
- The color of rashes changes over the time. It may lighten or darken in color.
- With the increase in age, rashes can convert into knots, and the itching may increase.
Symptoms of Eczema in Adults:
- The hives cover almost all the body.
- The itching around the rashes is permanent and prominent too.
- The skin is much drier and scaly.
- It leads to severe skin infection.
Causes of Eczema:
Eczema takes over your body due to several reasons. However, the reasons are not unique. It may be caused due to:
- Genetic History.
- Environmental or Surrounding issues or both.
Chances of eczema are high to a child if both the parents have a history of atopic diseases. Some of the environmental factors that cause eczema are:
The allergy can be caused by foreign particles like pollen grains, mites, dandruff or allergens from your pets.
- Irritants: Cosmetic products like soap, shampoo, and detergents
- Microbial Organs: One of the other causes of eczema can be microbes. It may be bacteria, viruses or some fungi.
- Eatables: Fruits and vegetables, dairy products, meat or dry nuts. Certain seeds, wheat, and soy products.
- Hormonal Changes: The changes in hormones can make eczema worse, especially in women. These changes are prominent during menstrual cycles and pregnancy.
Tips to Get Away from Triggering of Eczema:
If you want to escape from eczema, you should consider following advice:
Some Foods You Should Avoid in Eczema:
The food you consume or swallow may not cause eczema condition directly but it may slowly affect your skin or may increase the symptoms of eczema. Avoid eating such foods and contaminated fluids which directly cause eczema.
Some common foods cause allergic reactions are as follows-
- White foods or dairy products.
Also, foods that contain artificial ingredients and preservatives can worsen the symptoms. This incorporates foods that have an excessive amount of trans fats such as junk foods, fast foods, contaminated foods, processed foods, and margarine.
Sweetened foods or sweeteners can also worsen eczema condition or inflammation level in your body. Sugar or highly sweetened foods can spike insulin levels, that may result in inflammation condition.
Foods that include high amount of sugar are-
- Smoothies (banana smoothie, fruit yogurt smoothie, and apricot smoothie, )
- Ice- creams.
- Coffee drinks.
- Fast foods.
Avoid Using Chemicals
Control using chemicals which can directly make eczema irritant and itchy. To reduce the level of eczema and make your skin healthy and happy-
- While cleaning something, wear cotton cloth gloves to protect your skin from inflammation.
- Avoid using fresheners, scented candles, and perfumes.
- Do not smoke and stay away from dust and smoke as well.
Use Hot Water or Lukewarm Water
Hot water can help to make your skin calmer and softer. Always use lukewarm water while bathing, cleaning utensils, washing hands and after cleaning yourself with hot water gently dry your body with a soft towel or soft cloth. You can also use moisturizer, cream, and lotion to moisten your skin.
Wear Loose and Comfortable Clothes
Avoid wearing skin fit clothes that may create irritation. Synthetic clothes like nylon, polyester, rayon can make your body sweaty. Try to wear loose and comfortable clothes which can relax your body and helps to lessen inflammation as well. Remember, wash clothes before wearing them.
Detergents, Shampoos, and Soaps
Try to use fragrance-free detergents, soaps, and shampoos for washing clothes and bathing. Use detergents and soaps which are usually made for babies. Avoid scented dryer sheets and fabric softeners. Buy fragrance-free and clear pH neutral soaps for bathing and shower.
Stress Reduction Exercises
It is essential to balance the hormones and reduce stress to minimize eczema condition. For eczema reduction, regular exercises, yoga techniques, and meditation can help you reduce stress and ease eczema symptoms.
- Try yoga stretches and Surya Namaskar to make your body healthy and energetic.
- You can also practice different exercises regularly to strengthen your whole body.
- Meditation is compelling and best way to minimize inflammation such as tiredness, irritation, swelling, redness, and rashes.
- You need to practice excessive on a regular basis for faster improvement or recovery.
Drool and Saliva
Eczema problem mainly occurs in babies. To reduce eczema patches from your baby’s skin apply moisturizer or lotion. You should use creams or moisturizing agents before and after your baby swallow any food or liquid. This is the easiest way to avoid triggering of eczema.
This article is a proper guide that will help you to control and stop the occurrence of eczema. Please read the write up carefully to get away from this irritating and spotty infection of eczema. It can be easily avoided by the adoption of few careful steps in your daily routine.