A 17-year-old Utah boy suffered from serious mouth injury, similar to an injury observed in a high speed car crash or a close range gunshot wound, due to a vape pen exploding in his mouth.
As per the report by The Washington Post, the teen, identified as Austin, was given A VGOD company vape pen by his mom Kailani Burton last year as he thought that it could help him quit smoking. Auston, then 17, assured Burton that he had carried out proper research and that vaping was completely safe.
On 26 March, 2018, around a month after his son began vaping, Burton suddenly heard a loud sound while she was in her bedroom along with her husband. Moments later, Austin entered the room, holding a blood-filled mouth and making unintelligible groaning sounds.
Burton took Austin to a hospital in the city of Ely. However, as that hospital was not well-equipped to treat Austin’s severe injuries, he was later shifted to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. There, the family was met by Katie W. Russell, a pediatric surgeon, who said that the explosion caused swollen lip and jaw, a burn on Austin’s lip, a hole in his chin as well as a cut in his mouth. His complete jaw was cracked and a piece of bone had also shattered, said Jonathan Skirko, a pediatric ear, nose and throat surgeon.
The doctors conducted two surgeries to repair Austin’s injuries. In one of the surgeries, titanium plates were positioned in Austin’s mandible to balance the bone and other flesh wounds were dealt with.
Austin, who is now 18, is doing extremely well, said Burton to the Post.
Notably, as the use of vape pens continues to increase each day, Russell stressed on the significance of understanding dangers linked with such devices.