Common Stretches for Managing Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain is a painful condition that affects the lower backbone. It is most commonly caused due to lifting heavy objects and doing hard exercise. Acute lower back pain can occur If your back moves abnormally. It can be treated effectively by practicing some common stretches or yoga poses.
Causes of Lower Back Pain
Following are the most common causes of lower back pain are in order-
- Pulled muscles or muscle strain.
- Heavy lifting and strenuous exercise.
- Skeletal irregularities.
- Fractures in your backbone can cause severe lower back pain.
Nine Yoga Stretches that Helps to Control Lower Back Pain:
Lizard- Lower Lunge Pose
This yoga pose is very beneficial for lower back pain. Lizard pose is also known as Utthan Pristhasana. It is a soothing exercise or yoga posture. Usually lizard- lower lunge pose ease lower back pain and hip pain both. This pose helps to stretch legs, back, hip flexor, hips, groin, and hamstring. It usually provides relaxation to our body. Remember, if you are suffering from knee, back and hip wounds then do not perform this stretch.
How to perform this yoga pose or stretch:
- Keep the left foot ahead in the forepart of the right
- Twist right knee and move right toes outside to straighten calf muscles.
- Place left knee down, allow your back foot to move and move back smoothly.
- Hang on to this posture for five deep breaths, then change sides.
Bound Angle Pose
Bound angle pose is typically known as Baddha Konasana. It is a very effective pose to relax your body.This yoga pose usually requires efforts, flexibility, and stability to overcome limitations. It assists to comfort lower back from discomforts. Baddha Konasana posture is normally a big stretch for groins and inner thighs. This stretch mainly enhances your lower back muscles.
How to practice bound angle pose:
- Sit down on the ground, bend the knees and join the soles or arches of your feet.
- Pull the heels exactly near to your groin.
- Keep the back bone straight and move the shoulders back.
- Try to hold this pose for 7-8 breaths.
- This posture will relax your thighs, hips, and back.
Cow Face Pose
Cow face pose is a straightforward and easy yoga practice. It helps to increase the stretchability of limbs easily. This posture is commonly known as Gomukhasana. This yoga posture is best for everyone but usually recommended to those people who have a problem in joints, thighs, backbone, and arthritis. Moreover, Cow face pose can help to tone your muscles and reduce lower back and joint aches.
How to practice Gomukhasana pose:
- Sit straight on the ground and stretch both the legs straight.
- Slowly put your left leg on your right leg.
- Bend your right leg and gently keep it on your left thigh.
- Place both the knees together and put your left arm at your back.
- Keep your right arm to the right shoulder.
- Keep your body straight, open your chest and stretch back slightly.
- Hold this posture for at least 5 minutes.
Pigeon pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana) is a very powerful yoga pose or stretch that helps to minimize back pain or waist pain. It is best to perform pigeon pose in the morning. As pigeon pose usually aids to maintain the structure of our body and provides flexibility as well. It also helps to reduce stress. While performing or practicing this yoga pose inhale deeply and exhale slowly. It gives strength to arms, hips, muscles, knees, legs and digestive organs.
How to perform pigeon pose effectively:
- Begin this posture by sitting in a dog position, stretch your right leg back.
- Keep your back straight and put your hands on straight on the ground.
- Place your left leg between the hands.
- Practice this yoga pose every morning.
Happy Baby Pose
The Happy baby pose is known as Ananda Balasana. It is extremely fruitful for body pain. It commonly aids to relieve lower back pain. Happy baby yoga pose gives greater flexibility and relaxation to hips and lowers back. This yoga pose mainly helps to heal inflammation in the body. It calms the brain and relieves backbone by stretching groins and back spine. Remember, do not try or practice this pose at the time of pregnancy or if your knees, head, neck, and legs are injured.
How to practice happy baby pose effectively:
- Lie on the floor, take both the legs towards you and bend them properly till it comes in a straight line.
- Parallel them with the body, ankle, and knee.
- Hold this pose up to 5- 6 minutes to reduce hip pain and back pain as well.
Fire Log Pose
Fire log pose is recognized as Agnistambhasana posture. It is the perfect yoga pose that strengthens our whole body. It helps to stretch our body properly to relieve stress and muscles. This pose helps you to stretch your buttocks and hips slowly and softly. It also helps to mitigate anxiety, stress, and tension. Fire log pose energizes and refreshes abdominal organs. Practice fire log poses every morning to get rid of health problems. It has several benefits as it helps to cure the gastric condition and calms our brain.
How to perform Agnistambhasana :
- Sit straight on the ground put your left leg towards you and bend it properly.
- Then keep the right leg over the left leg and bend it.
- Place your hands straight on the legs.
- Do this exercise to relieve pain speedily.
This yoga pose is quite simple to perform every morning. It assists in toning your whole body. It is favorable for our health
Goddess pose is recognized as Utkata Konasana. It is an incredibly very powerful exercise which aids to make our body healthy by stretching. An active goddess pose or Utkata Konasana relieves lower back as well as upper back. Perform this pose each day in the early morning to reduce pain and promote relaxation. Goddess pose makes our bones and muscles strong to tolerate body aches.
How to pursue goddess yoga pose:
- Stand straight and open the legs properly, turn the feets outward.
- Bend your knees, put your backbone straight and join hands.
- Follow this exercise for 5- 10 minutes every day.
Half Lord of the Fish Pose
Hard lord of the fish pose is very effective yoga pose for lower back pain. This yoga posture is known as Ardha Matsyendrasana. It helps to stretch legs properly and back to minimize pain. This pose is the most powerful pose from twelve basic yoga poses. It mainly energies vertebrae and stimulates the immune system. Inhale and exhale air properly while stretching to alleviate or ease the pain in our body speedily. Half lord of the fish pose is very helpful to reduce inflammatory diseases from our body.
How to perform half lord of the fish pose:
- Sit on the ground and expand legs.
- Bend the right leg and place the left leg straight on the ground
- Sit up very straight, avoid dropping and locate the left arm over the right leg.
- Shift the left shoulder ahead as you move the right shoulder backward.
- Perform this exercise or yoga asana for 5- 10 minutes regularly in the morning.
Garland Pose efficiently stretches backbone, joints, groins, ankles, and legs to ease severe aches. Garland pose is known as Malasana. This asana is practiced to give relaxation to all the body parts. Malasana is the perfect yoga asana to improve body structure and maintain our body. Moreover, it helps to overcome health issues. Perform this useful yoga asana to cure pain speedily.
How to practice Malasana:
- Sit straight, stretch your body and move your heels and toes outside.
- Curve the knees and keep the blanket under heels and then stretch your elbows and join your hands.
- Practice this pose continuously for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Follow this stretch regularly for faster improvement in your body.
This article acts as a complete guide for you to manage your lower back pain. You can ease your back pain by practicing yoga stretches effectively and regularly.