Scientists declare nearly 400 medical practices ineffective

Scientists declare nearly 400 medical practices ineffective

Scientists have declared almost 400 prevalent medical practices ineffective, shows a latest study.

The team hope that this discovery will help de-adopt such practices, also called medical reversals.

They wanted to offer a much more detailed list of medical practices to guide researchers and clinicians on what benefit these offer while they care for the wellbeing of their patients more economically and effectively, said lead author and researcher from Oregon Health & Science University, Diana Herrera-Perez.

In order to make this discovery, Herrera-Perez along with her colleagues looked for RCTs (randomised controlled trials) which were published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Lancet and the American Medical Association over the past 15 years.

After they reviewed 3000 articles, their analysis showed 296 instances of medical reversals. Out of these, 92% were carried out on people belonging to high-income nations, most probably as majority of RCTs are conducted in such setting. On the other hand, 8% were conducted on middle or low-income nations, which include India, China, Ethiopia and Malaysia.

The highly represented medical category among the medical reversals was cardiovascular disease (20%). This was followed by preventive medicine/public health and then critical care.

Altogether, the scientists hope that the findings would help encourage healthcare professionals to analyse their own practices seriously and ask for good quality research before inclining towards a new practice in the future.

retro

A part-time pharmacist by profession, Aaron studied various advances of medicine for years. He also showed keen interest in reporting and understanding the new improvements in medicine technology. As an editor of Fogut, he keeps an eye on the news pieces for quality while jotting down some of the most interesting news from medicine sector.