Heartburn is the situation that occurs due to improper digestion. The phenomenon is acidic in nature causing the sensation of burning inside the body.
Pregnancy heartburn is very common among women. Heartburn may not be faced by the women earlier, and she might meet it the first time during pregnancy. Though pregnancy heartburn causes no harm to your body basically, it positively affects your level of comfort. And with all the changes happening in the body, this change may be irritating sometimes.
The Cause of Heartburn During Pregnancy:
It usually occurs in the second and third trimester. It is because of the change in the level of hormones. Due to which the muscles around digestive tract changes and it affects the digestive system. The stomach acids are pushed upwards because of the increased uterus size with increase in the size of the baby which causes the heartburn.
Home Remedies for Pregnancy Heartburn
We all prefer to sort the health issues at home itself and prefer not to go to the doctors for every problem. Same goes for pregnancy. Until there is a major problem, we try to reduce it some home remedies.
- Ginger Tea: Ginger is good for assorted reasons. Take ginger with hot water, and it will help you reduce the heartburn. Make sure you don’t take to a great quantity.
- Herbal Tea: Drink Along with ginger teas, other types of herbal tea. Try drinking other green smoothies which are again good for heartburn.
- Coconut Water: Coconut water is another good remedy. The coconut water neutralizes the acids and hence the chances of the heartburn is reduced.
- Water: Drinking a lot of water is good for digestion. Also, avoid drinking during the meals but apart from that water is a good solution for the heartburn.
- Yogurt: Yogurt has many qualities. One must include it in its daily diet anyways. Try to include yogurt in your daily diet, and you will see the results quickly. Reducing heartburn is good.
- Milk: Milk can be another soothing thing. It can provide quick relief to the females who are going through pregnancy heartburn.
- Fennel Seeds: Fennel seeds soothe the heartburn as it is good for the digestive It reduces the amount of acid in the stomach.
- Peppermint: Peppermint provides quick relief for the heartburn.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera has a soothing quality. You can either get the gel from the store or take the gel from the plant itself. Apply the gel on the chest and around the abdomen to see the effects.
- Marshmallow Root: Marshmallow root is helpful too. Many women have found relief after having marshmallow roots. But its effects are not same for everyone. So contact your doctor before taking it. If you see it is not helping in reducing the effects or there are other side effects, then you can stop taking it.
- Papaya: Papaya has a high enzyme contain. It is good for digestion of the food. But make sure you are not eating a lot of papayas as it might lead to premature labor.
- Almonds: Almonds are rich in oil which can be helpful in soothing the heartburn problem. It neutralizes the acid present in the body.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar helps to reduce the heartburn by creating the acid in the stomach.
Prevention from Pregnancy Heartburn
Prevention is always better than cure. Heartburn in pregnant women is very common. We have discussed the home remedies, but there are certainly other things that can be done to prevent it happening. To avoid the effects of the pregnancy heartburn, there are few preventative steps you can take.
- Small Meals: Since one of the reasons for heartburn is the problem with the digestives system, having small meals instead of large meals will help to maintain the proper digestive system. Try taking 4-5 small meals instead of 2-3 large meals.
- While eating your food make sure you are chewing properly and eating with a break. If you eat fast and bolting down food might because of pregnancy heartburn.
- Spicy Food: Try avoiding spicy and oil food. Food rich in spices and fats takes longer to digest. These types of food may increase the chances of heartburn.
- Avoid Drinking While Eating: If you drink a lot of drinks during your meals it increases the chances of acid reflux and may also cause heartburn.
- Take a walk or just sit and relax for a while after taking your meal.
- Make sure you are having your dinner or last meal at least 2 hours before the bedtime.
- Wait for a while after eating and before you go to sleep. If you go to bed directly after your meal, your body may not be able to digest the food properly.
- During your pregnancy try to wear comfortable and loose fitting clothing so that there is no pressure on your stomach because of tight fitted clothes.
- Make sure that you don’t have constipation problem.
- Chewing Gums: It may sound weird initially, but chewing gums after the meal is another good way to reduce heartburn. As it neutralizes acids.
- Hormones can be crazy during pregnancy. Craving to eat a different type of food especially something sweet often seen. But food items which are acidic in nature must be avoided such as chocolate. Tomatoes, coffee, etc.
- Iron Supplements: Before taking any iron supplements make sure that they are not harmful to you as it can contribute to increasing Concern your doctor if it is ok for you to take iron supplements.
- While sleeping put lots of pillows at your feet so that your body is in problem position when you are sleeping.
- Try to avoid bending through waist rather bend your knees when you have to pick something.
This situation is faced by almost 50 percent of pregnant women, and there exist no permanent solution to overcome it. It comes to an end only after you deliver your baby. Till then you can always take care of your health and follow up the above mentioned preventive measures and home remedies to carry out the smoother period of your pregnancy.