RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus) is a kind of virus that is unavoidable in early life. No matter how best we do to keep our children safe some virus like RSV is hard to defend. It increases the susceptibility to respiratory infection.
Children in age between infant to toddlers tend to get more affected by RSV. Adults can also be affected by RSV but can be referred as the common flu. For toddlers and babies, it can be dangerous and life threatening too. Because RSV can make it difficult to breathe. The rate of RSV is higher in spring, monsoon, and winter when these viruses are more active.
What Causes RSV Infection?
RSV virus is highly contagious for three to eight weeks. It can be caught up quickly by adult, toddler or infant with weak immune system. The virus invades the healthy person body by direct contact or by air when he/she inhales the infected air which contains the virus.
The virus can invade the body if the baby or adult touches the contaminated area by mucus. Because he/ she then touches his/her eyes, nose or mouth with unclean hands.
After, entering into the body, the virus multiplies rapidly inside the lungs. It can cause infection in the respiratory system.
Symptoms of RSV Infection in Toddlers:
- A runny nose.
- Poor appetite.
- Breathing problem.
- Green, yellow or gray mucus.
- Dehydrated such as no tears while crying, very less urine pass.
- Bluish tint in fingernails or
- A sore throat.
These are some usual symptoms of RSV. So observe your toddler for these symptoms so that you can prevent them as soon as possible.
Home Remedies for RSV:
You can help your toddler by applying these home remedies .however if the infection worsens or not cured after a week you have to seek medical condition.
Humidifying the Air:
Keep the room at comfortable temperature sitting in the dry air can worsen the condition. You can ease the wheezing problem by humidifying the room, using a humidifier or taking a steam shower can reduce the problem.
Humidifying or moisturizing the room is the best home remedy you can apply to ease wheezing problem due to the RSV infection.
Turmeric is very well known natural ingredient to cure many problems due to the presence of antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties. Consuming turmeric can cure inflammation caused by wheezing.
- ½ Tsp turmeric powder.
- One glass of warm milk.
- Mix ½ Tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
- And offer it to your toddler before bedtime for the best result.
- Alternatively, mix ½ of turmeric powder and ½ of honey in a bowl and offer it.
- You can also massage the turmeric paste with black pepper in toddler’s chest if they refuse to consume it.
Flax seed has high in omega 3 and well known antibacterial properties .consuming flaxseed regularly reduces the occurrence of such disease.
- ½ Tsp flax seed.
- Offer your toddler ½ tsp of flaxseed to chew once a day regularly.
Eliminate Cigarette Smoke:
Cigarette smoke is the prime factors that can not only increase the risk factor of infected by RSV, and also make it difficult to recover it especially in toddlers, ensure that they will not get exposed to it and adult can avoid smoking as it comprises the immune system.
If turmeric doesn’t work, try sesame oil as it can give quick relief.
- 100 ml sesame oil.
- ½ Tsp asafoetida.
- Pinch of camphor.
- Mix 100 ml sesame oil, ½ tsp asafoetida and a pinch of camphor and make a paste of it.
- Massage chest and upper back of your toddler whenever a wheezing problem occurs.
- You can store it in a glass container in dry and cold place.
- Repeat this method for a couple of weeks.
Though most of the children don’t like chilies if your kids like it, has plenty of health benefits .chillies are loaded with nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, vitamin B6, copper, and potassium. The capsaicin compound found in chilies is anti bacterial.
Consuming chilies open up air passage and also thins the mucus in lungs, throat, and mouth. It is the home remedy you can try to treat RSV without using pills. Try to involve in it in your daily food.
Yogurt provides good bacteria that help our body to fight against diseases. Loaded with vitamin B12 boosts the function of lungs, treat irritation and wheezing. Not only this but the good bacteria in yogurt improve your immune system
It is, great to consume 2 cups of yogurt daily on a regular basis to protect your toddler to catch from any viruses.
Eating hot soup can prevent the symptoms of RSV especially in summers .or eating chicken, or vegetable broth can stop them from coughing.
Fish is a great source of omega three fatty acid, eating fish can improve the function of lungs .eating fish on a regular basis prevents diabetes, obesity, and cancer.
And also boosts the brain function, slowdowns the process of aging and keeps blood pressure in control.
Fenugreek is also one of the best ingredients to treat RSV, just combine it honey or ginger to enhances the taste as fenugreek tastes bitter.
- Two tsp of fenugreek seeds.
- One tsp ginger juice.
- One tsp of honey.
- Soak two tsp of fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Strain the water and mix 1 Tsp of ginger juice and 1 Tsp of honey in it.
- Mix it well.
- Drink this solution in the morning.
- Repeat this daily for a week.
Like lemon and orange juice gooseberries are also rich in vitamin C potential to fight antioxidant, that helps a body to fight disease.
- 1 tbsp of gooseberry powder.
- One tsp of honey.
- Mix 1 tsp of gooseberry powder and 1 Tsp of honey.
- Consume this mixture daily in the morning until your toddler gets complete relief.
Bitter Gourd Root:
The bitter flavor will eliminate the contraction of the air cell.
- 1 cup bitter gourd root.
- One tsp of honey.
- Crush the bitter gourd into the paste.
- Add 1tsp of honey in it.
- Offer it before bedtime.
Known as a super food this trees every part works wonder for a different kind of disease. Drumstick leaves have alkaloid which relaxes the bronchioles which make it a home remedy to treat RSV.
- ¾ cup of water.
- A handful of drumstick leaves.
- One tsp lemon juice.
- One tsp pepper.
- Pinch of salt.
- Boil ¾ cup of water with drumstick leaves and add rest of the ingredient in it.
- Let it simmer for few minutes.
- Offer this as soup to your toddler.
Drinking three glass of orange juice in a day eliminate the wheezing and gives relief to your baby. Taking Vitamin C which is an excellent source of orange juice will build the immune system to fight against RSV.
Make sure that your toddler is well hydrated; drinking plenty of water will make sure to flush out the excess virus and harmful bacteria out from a body.
RSV infection in toddler can be prevented with some simple steps like,
- Keeping the child away from the already infected person or from a person who is having normal cough and cold will prevent your toddler from getting infected.
- If someone is suffering from RSV at your home, wipe out all the hard surfaces regularly with disinfected or with soap and water.
- Always wash your hands before touching infant.
- Properly wash the utensil after eating.
- Do not share food with a person suffering from a cough and cold.
- Pregnant women should include Vitamin D rich food to prevent infection in the infant.
- If your toddler is infected and a school going child, take leave from a week to avoid other kids.
Risk Factor in RSV:
Although it is a common form of infection, the getter risk of it involves in an infant, babies, and toddlers with low birth weight, premature. Weaken immune system in toddlers makes them susceptible to a virus from school, public places or from daycares centers.
This might pass the infection on younger or elder sibling or to any of the family member. A history of asthma increases the chance of getting RSV infection or in babies with chronic disease.
When to Seek a Doctor:
Although you can treat your toddler with the above-described home remedies but, sometimes there a situation when we have to look for a medical attention like in conditions,
Breathing heavily and fast, a healthy one is 40 times in a minute.
- When cold becomes severe.
- Shallow coughing that continues day and night.
- Poor appetite.
- Trouble in breathing.
Watch for signs and symptoms carefully, which can treat by a family doctor or by a pediatrician.