Mumps is a transmittable disease that mainly affects the salivary glands or the parotid glands. They are present underneath ears around the angle of jaws. A contagious virus called Aparamyxo virus is responsible for causing this disease. It travels from one person to another via various means such as saliva, close personal contact, and nasal secretions. Even the respiratory secretions can transmit this virus as well. The primary symptom of this disease is salivary glands swelling.
Usually, kids from the age group of five to ten years are seen suffering from it. It is because they are more prone to this virus, although, it can affect adults as well. Other diseases like chickenpox and measles are more infection than mumps. A good thing is your body develops immunity against this disease after being affected by it. Now that means, you don’t have to worry about it for long once you get infected with it.
The swelled jaws and cheeks are the primary symptoms of Mumps. However, it takes around two to three weeks for this noticeable effect to appear. The other symptoms that initially appear are muscle pain, headache, slight fever, fatigue, dry mouth, appetite loss, swallowing difficulty, and earache.
One can vaccinate himself and stay safe from this virus. However, you don’t any option left after getting infected with it. The medical science has yet to discover any treatment of this disease. Though, few treatments may give you some relief from its symptoms. Besides, there are some basic and simple therapies for mumps that you can even try at your home. In this article, you will find a list of such home remedies that are beneficial in mumps.
Home Remedies to Treat Mumps
1. Chebulic Myrobalan or the Ink fruit
For mumps, this fruit is very beneficial. In fact, people consider it as a miracle herb that can treat mumps effectively. Also known as Terminalia Chebula, this herb comes with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory features. Now, this helps in decreasing the swelling of salivary glands in mumps. For applying it, you have to make its paste.
Making the paste:
- At first, you have to dry-up this fruit.
- For around six hours, you have to put three or four Chebulic myrobalans in the sun.
- Now, take the dried fruits and grind it in a mixer. Make sure to add water in the mixer, so, you can have a paste like material.
- Finally, apply it externally on the swelling areas. Usually, around neck and throat.
- Leave this paste for around twenty minutes. Finally, wash the area.
- For best results, you should use this paste for three times every day.
2. Treating with Sacred Fig Leaves
It is another decent treatment that you can try at your home. The Sacred fig leaves have antivirus properties. Now, this feature is effective in killing the virus that causes mumps. Additionally, they have anti-inflammatory properties. Hence, it can reduce the swelling that occurs in Mumps. One can use it as a bandage on the swelling area. For best results, one should use the sacred fig leaves for two times daily.
How to use it?
- At first, take two Peepal leaves and clean them.
- Apply a little oil, butter or ghee on the leaves.
- Now, place it on the swelling areas using tape or micropore.
- Leave it for around thirty minutes.
- Finally, remove it and wash the area.
3. Aloe Vera
This herb is a good way to get some relief in mumps. Apart from moisturizing, it also has antiviral, antibiotic, and anti-inflammatory features. It can do wonders in reducing pain and swelling. You can use paste or the leaf on the affected area to get some relief. Besides, you can also create a paste of it with another similarly featured herb called Turmeric. Moreover, you can also drink three ounces of Aloe Vera juice daily. It will boost your immune system and fasten the healing process. However, you should not consume it if you are a diabetic’s patient. Aloe Vera juice lowers the blood sugar level, so, you may have problems due to it.
How to use it?
- At first, take an Aloe Vera leaf and peel it off or you can take some Aloe Vera gel.
- Afterwards, mix a teaspoon of turmeric in it. You can use your hand in doing so.
- Now, apply it on swollen areas and leave it for twenty-five minutes.
- Finally, clean the area.
- For best results, you should use this simple remedy for three times a week.
4. Asparagus Seeds Mixed with Fenugreek Seeds
This herb has lots of beneficial minerals and nutrients which strengthen the body to fight against the mumps virus. You can also use Fenugreek seeds in treatment. The Fenugreek seeds have similar properties and can prove beneficial for viral infections like mumps. One can create a blend of these two seeds and apply it on inflammation. It will give some relief.
How to use it?
- At first, you need to take the powders of Fenugreek seeds and Asparagus seeds in equal amount.
- Now, mix them along with some water to make it paste like material.
- Finally, apply the paste of these two seeds on the swollen area.
- Leave it for twenty minutes and wash it afterward.
- For best results, you should do it two times daily for two weeks.
Just like other herbs mentioned here, Ginger also has antiviral features. Hence, it is a good remedy that you can try at your home. It kills the mumps virus and gets you some relief. The pain and swelling will also decrease. You can use it as a paste on the affected area.
How to use it?
- At first, you have to dry up a ginger root in the sun.
- Afterwards, use a mixer to make it into powder.
- Besides, you can also use dry ginger powder available in the market.
- Now, use little water to make the ginger powder into a thick paste.
- Afterwards, you should apply this ginger paste on the swollen area.
- Let it get dried naturally.
- Finally, use cotton and water to clean the area.
- For best results, you should use this remedy three times in a day continuously for a week.
6. Indian Lilac
Also known as neem or margosa, the Indian lilac is an ideal remedy against mumps. Its leaves have strong antiviral properties. You can combat the symptoms of this disease with it. Just like other herbs listed here, you can also use it by making a paste. By adding turmeric, you can enhance its benefits.
How to use it?
- At first, take a handful of Indian Lilac leaves and grind it. Make a paste by adding a little water to it.
- Afterwards, take two teaspoons of turmeric powder and add it to the paste.
- On the swollen area, apply this paste and leave it for thirty minutes.
- Finally, clean the area using water and soft-towel.
- For best results, apply this paste daily for a week.
7. Carrot Juice mixed with Pineapple Juice
By taking Carrot juice mixed with Pineapple juice will get you some relief in mumps. Carrots have beta carotene that improves immunity and enhances the healing process. Besides, the Pineapple juice is rich in Brome lain. This nutrient has anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful in mumps.
How to take it?
- For in taking, just mix a glass of Carrot juice and Pineapple juice in equal amount.
- You should drink it daily for attaining maximum benefits.
8. Baking soda
Due to the highly-effective anti-inflammatory feature, baking soda can be an ideal home remedy to get some relief in mumps. It can provide relaxation, especially in the swelling. Moreover, baking soda has alkaline properties that can stop the growth of mumps virus. You can apply a paste of it on the affected area.
How to use it?
- At first, take three tablespoons of baking soda and add a little water to it.
- Now, mix it properly and make a smooth paste of it.
- Afterwards, apply this smooth paste around jaws and cheeks.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, rinse the paste off from the area using water.
- For best results, you should use it three times daily for a week.
9. Drinking Mullein Leaf Tea or Applying its Paste
The anti-inflammatory features of Mullein leaf extracts make it one of the best remedies for mumps. Besides, it will cool and soothe the swollen area. You can apply dried mullein leaves or drink mullein tea for healing yourself.
How to use it?
- In a bowl, add two tablespoons of dried mullein leaves and add boiling water to it.
- Mix it properly and leave it for around ten minutes. It will release the features of mullein leaves.
- Now, take a cotton cloth and soak it in the solution.
- Finally, place the soaked cloth on the jaw area and leave it for few minutes.
- For maximum benefits, you should do it five times a day for a week.
10. Eat Pepper and Potatoes
Apart from being rich in carbohydrates and antioxidants, Potatoes have analgesic properties as well. Besides, the pepper is widely known anti-inflammatory effects. Together they will help in soothing the inflammation.
How to eat it?
- Boil two or three potatoes and mash them with your hands or any tool.
- Sprinkle the pepper powder on the mashed potatoes and eat it.
- You should eat it daily for reaping maximum benefits.