Hives or urticaria is the sudden skin allergy. It is either caused by body’s reaction to some allergens or by some unknown reason. They appear like red swollen patches and can vary in size. It causes itching or burning sensation in distinct parts of the body including ears, face, hands, legs or anywhere in your body. They usually last for an hour or a day but can be extremely painful and itchy.
A similar kind of hives known as angioedema occurs beneath the skin rather than on the surface. Its signs are deep swellings across eyes, lips, genital, hands or in feet and it lasts longer than hives. But swelling in this sort of infection goes away in less than 24 hours.
What Causes Hives?
It is important to know the causes of hives before you search for the treatment. Here are some conditions that cause hives:
Most of the time people are not aware of the allergies that they have. Some people tend to have a food allergy like from fish, shellfish, eggs, cherries, peanut, tomatoes, gluten, etc. As a result, hives occur within a minute or so after consuming the food that you are allergic to.
Antibiotics like penicillin and salicylates usually cause hives, in people who are allergic to it. Alike food allergy, drug allergy hives also occurs within few minutes.
Infection caused by bacteria including the common cold, HIV, etc. can also trigger hives. It signifies that something is wrong in your body or you are allergic to something.
Hive can also be triggered by an insect bite, flower pollen, dust or by intense and prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Stress is the leading causes of all the diseases. So, avoid stressing yourself too much to get rid of any disease.
Identify the cause of your allergy that causes hives and tries to avoid contact with it.
Symptoms of Hives:
- Red, swollen and itchy patches on the surface of the skin. It can appear in any part of your body.
- Heavy breath.
- Swollen face or throat.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Hives Fast Naturally:
However, you should seek medical care if hive lasts for more than 24 hours and causes breathing problem or dizziness. If you have a milder hive, then you can look for some best home relieving methods mentioned below.
A cold-water bath can relieve your rashes as well as itching. As it blocks any further release of histamine which is responsible for causing hives.
Avoid Tight Fitted and Scratchy Clothes:
Wearing tight fitted clothes and scratchy clothes can further aggravate the skin. When you currently have hives, try to wear loose-fitting cotton clothes. As it will not irritate your skin further.
Cold press compress by ice on hive area can relieve itchiness. Apply a cold compress for minimum 10-15 minutes. Repeat this remedy number of times as per requirement within a day.
Vitamin C is not only good for your skin, to achieve that glow but it also helps against hives. It reduces the release of histamine and helps in controlling the effects of hives.
Fruits rich in vitamin C or citrus food like kiwi, pineapple, cherries, and strawberries works best for the hive. Or you can also take up with these steps to make your vitamin C paste:
What do you need?
- Vitamin C tablet.
- Zinc tablet,
- Mortar and pestle.
- Crush both the tablets that are zinc and vitamin C with the help of mortar and pestle.
- Apply on affected area for 10-15minutes.
- If you don’t get the tablets, use the cream which has vitamin C in it.
Due to its anti-inflammatory property, baking soda helps in reducing itching and inflammation.
What do you need?
- Two tsp baking soda.
- Water to make paste
- In a bowl, add two tsp of baking soda and water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this mixture to affected area for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
- Or add a tablespoon of baking soda in a bathtub filled with warm water and soak in this water for 10-15 minutes.
It is yet another best natural home remedy to sooth your rashes. It also reduces the redness and itchiness. As it contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial property.
What do you need?
- One tsp fresh aloe Vera gel
- Directly apply fresh Aloe Vera gel in hive affected area.
- Leave it there for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Due to its antihistamine property, apple cider vinegar helps in relieving inflammation quickly. And it also regulates the body’s immune system.
The vinegar is made up of apple mixed with yeast and bacteria. It contains probiotics, which help in getting rid of hives. You need two tsp apple cider vinegar and one tsp cornstarch to treat.
- Make a paste of 2 tsp apple cider vinegar and cornstarch.
- Apply it after taking a bath. Since; the skin is highly absorbing after the bath.
- Alternatively, add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar to a bathtub. And soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes.
- A yet another way is, mix one tsp of apple cider vinegar to a little lemon and honey for taste. Consume, it three times a day to improve your immunity.
Oatmeal is considered one of the best home remedies to treat hives. Oats contain anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial property, and soothing property. It helps to get relief in itching and burning sensation caused by hives. Get 2 cups of uncooked grounded oatmeal and two cups of baking soda.
- Combine both oatmeal and baking soda. Mix it well. Add this mixture to a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Stir it well and soak in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this twice daily until your condition improves.
- Or else, mix 2 cups of oatmeal, two tsp of cornstarch and enough water to make a thick paste. Apply, the paste on affected area for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
It is kind of weird, dressed in a glove all day long. But it prevents you from scratching. And thus, the infection does not spread further in other parts of a body.
Ginger is also known as “wonder drug” in Ayurveda. It is because of its strong anti-inflammatory and antihistamine property. Ginger targets the enzymes and helps in the treatment of hives.
Things you need:-
- ¼ cup of sugar.
- One tsp of freshly crushed ginger.
- ¼ cup of vinegar.
- One tsp Warm water.
- Boil ¼ cup of sugar, 1tsp of crushed ginger and ¼ cup of vinegar for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix a solution with one tsp warm water.
- Dab the solution in affected area 3-4 times in a day.
- An alternate way is, peel the refrigerated ginger. Slice it up and gently dab in the hive affected area. Use it 2-3 times a day.
- You can also chew the fresh ginger piece.
Rich in anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial property. Turmeric cure many skin diseases including hives. It also improves your immunity. Get one tsp turmeric powder and one glass of lukewarm water.
- Simply add one tsp of turmeric to lukewarm water and consume it twice a day.
Due to its astringent property, it constricts the blood vessel to release histamine which aggravates the condition.
You need Witch Hazel then aApply few drops of witch hazel directly on your skin. Leave it for few minutes. You can either wash it off or, leave it.
It reduces the allergens response, by shrinking the capillaries and prevents hives. It also has a soothing and cooling effect on the itchy and irritated skin.
Prevention from Hives:
- Avoid known triggers
- Wear loose fitting clothes especially in summer.
- Manage your stress.