Every one of us has stood next to someone with a bad body odor in the train or an elevator. While you held your breath for a while – did you wonder if others feel the same about you? The fact is that every one of us has some body odor. The smells of people differ from person to person. It’s likely that you don’t realize that you also emanate some odor. You won’t find it very unpleasant as it’s a part of you – but others will feel it’s a foul smell.
The smells of the body are not limited to the skin. The bad breath from the mouth is also a source of embarrassment. The skin is the largest organ of the body and so works the hardest amongst all the human organs. It’s a common notion that we smell due to the sweat. However, the smell is due to the bacteria on our body which breaks down the protein. The Eccrine glands and Apocrine glands are equally responsible for the foul odors.
Even though the skin covers the entire body, there are specific parts that tend to emit more smells.
- The smell of the underarms is almost overpowering.
- The best initiative to stop the odor from underarms is to shave off the hair. It will allow the sweat to dry quickly.
- Make sure to have a bath daily.
- Use special antibacterial soap specifically for underarms
- Use alcohol-based sprays so that the bacteria are destroyed.
- Use organic sprays to ensure that your body smells more natural.
The groin is always covered, and so has little or no exposure to the natural weather. It’s most likely to be the place where the sweat drips down and collects. Fortunately, you’re the only person who will be affected by that smell. But if not looked after, the scent from the groin will remain in your clothes – which will, in turn, give you a body odor at all times.
- Like the armpits, it will help you keep your pubic area free of hair. Shaving or bikini wax are good ways to maintain hygiene in the area.
- Wash the area regularly with natural cleansers like the Apple Cider Vinegar or lemon juice.
- Soak your body in water with Epsom salt
- Change underclothes every day and ensure that they are thoroughly washed.
- Clean your parts thoroughly after doing your business in the toilet.
This is the most embarrassing and noticeable odor. The emitting smell will always make you conscious of how you talk. People tend to avoid sitting close to a person with bad breathe.
- The most obvious way to stop this is to ensure that you brush after you meals – or at least before going to bed. This will ensure that no food is stuck between your teeth to cause foul-smelling bacteria.
- Use a tongue scraper every morning to remove the bacteria gathered in your mouth.
- Ensure that you change your toothbrush every 8 to 12 weeks.
- Eat fresh sprigs of basil, parsley, and mint with your meals.
- Keep seeds of cloves, fennel seeds or aniseeds to chew throughout the day to keep your breath fresh.
- Use natural mouthwash – like water mixed with baking soda – to rinse for 30 seconds.
Hair is the second thing after your face that people notice about you. Yes, hair can be smelly even though it’s exposed to the natural sunlight and air most of the time. It’s most likely that smelly hair would mean unhealthy hair.
- The most obvious remedy to smelly hair is to wash it as many times as possible
- Use oil or any other moisturizer on the hair at least once a week. It will help if it has medicinal value as this will keep dandruff at bay.
- Use a hair dryer if you have to tie your hair after washing them. But it’s best to let the hair dry naturally.
- Avoid tying the hair when they are wet.
- Use natural conditioners like lemon, tea tree oil, Apple Cider Vinegar at least once a week while washing hair.
Messy Smell Feet
Feet is where all the sweat from the body will trickle down to. While no one will be smelling your feet, it will undoubtedly leave a bad smell in your shoes. It’s most likely that you’re trying to get the smell off from the shoes while you should work on your feet.
- The best remedy is to soak your feet in warm water with Epsom salt dissolved in it. This will not just clean your feet but also help to relax those tired muscles.
- You can sprinkle and dust your feet with bicarbonate soda to disinfect them
- Apply lavender oil before going to bed and wear socks to keep the smell intact.
- If possible, use a hair dryer to blow dry your feet as well to keep away bacteria.
Even though we have looked at individual body parts for odors, there are a few remedies that will help to maintain your natural smell.
- A bath before going to bed will ensure that the germs and bacteria don’t work on you while you’re asleep.
- Drinking plenty of water will keep your skin hydrated at all times. This will ensure that you have good blood circulation.
- Maintain a healthy diet – eating fibrous fruits like the citrus – will give the body all the minerals it needs to fight the bacteria.
- Regular exposure to mild sunlight will enrich your skin with Vitamin D – which makes the skin and hair glow.
- Regular exercise will ensure that your body remains fit to process all the foods that you eat. This will help to keep your skin healthy.
- Try and replace all the artificial deodorants with natural cleansers.
Home Remedies to Getting Rid Of Body Odor
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is the usual and ordinary home remedy for many health issues, as it is good for skin, pigmentation, hairs and even helps to treat body odor. Apple cider vinegar can be directly applied to the skin of underarms with cotton balls or tissue. This remedy can be used on a daily basis and as per need. This contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory elements that help in treating sweating smell of the body and kills sweat germs.
Procedure: You can use soaked cotton balls in apple cider vinegar and apply them directly to the skin or affected body odor part. This procedure can be used on the regular basis as it works as the natural deodorant.
This is one of the potent antioxidant ingredients which helps in the perfect hygiene of the body from foul odor, germs, and bacteria. Epsom salt helps our body to retain hormone termed as serotonin which helps in releasing stress and makes body relaxing. This home remedy can be used a week thrice.
Procedure: You can use Epsom salt with hot water, either pour 2-3 cups of it in the bathtub or half cup in the bucket to relax and calm while bathing. This method is a wise choice thrice a week.
Fenugreek is inherited with antioxidant, anti-bacterial properties, ensures detoxifying the body toxins and protects against injections. Drinking of fenugreek tea every morning will lead for better health and will treat bacterias and germs which germinate sweating or body odor.
Procedure: You can add one teaspoon of fenugreek seed in boiling water. Let it boil till the water becomes half of its quantity, and this will ensure the pure essence of it in water. Cool and consume it every morning for excellent results.
The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and acidic properties of lemon juice help. The is one of oldest remedy in use since ages as it controls the pH level of the body, which limits the birth of odor bacteria and other skin infections.
Procedure: You can either scrub it directly as lemon slices or can go with cotton balls soaked in lemon juice. Go for this method on a daily basis.
This red ripens remedy the anti-bacterial and antiseptic ingredient, that is being used since ancient times to purify the blood, detoxify impurities, body odor and also reduce sweating.
Procedure: Go for two red ripe tomatoes juice and a bucket full lukewarm. You need to add pure juice into the water, go for 20-30 minutes for mild effects of it. You can opt this process of tomato juice bathing for twice or thrice a week.
This natural fragrance water can be used either alone or with apple cider vinegar, as it holds astringent and cleansing properties which reduces the sweating odor and production. At the end leaves behind a soft sweet smell of rose.
Procedure: Either use cotton balls soaked in alone rose water on the skin or can also for mix dilute of apple cider and rose water for better results. 2-3 tablespoon of rose water and one tablespoon cider vinegar will work potently. Applying on a daily basis will cure your odor and sweating problems.
The natural anti-bacterial astringent herb Witch Hazel helps in curing body odor problems and also decrease the sweating. The acidic nature maintains the pH value of the skin.
Procedure: Apply witch hazel drops with use of cotton to scrub gently on the skin. This will work as natural deodorant daily.
The refreshing smell of parsley is not bound to use in cooking, but it enriched with anti-odor elements that eliminate foul-smelling and bad breath-causing bacteria.
Procedure: For this ingredient, you need to add few leaves of parsley into the boiling water. Strain and guzzle this herbal water for excellent effects.
Humans use the natural occurring anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and antiseptic neem leaves in many health problems related to skin and infections. These help in reducing body odor and the germs as well.
Procedure: For this method, you need to grind few neem leaves in an elegant dark green paste. Apply this paste directly over the odor prone area of the skin and let it dry. Wash it off, and you can apply this paste regularly.
The anti-bacterial composition properties of this white powdered cooking flour will ensure body odor decrease and also stop the production of sweat, other body germs.
Procedure: You can use cornstarch powdered form directly on the odor and sweat part of the skin. You need to dust it straight and leave it for the rest of the day. This is a natural powder alternative to other chemical powders available in the market.
The anti-germs and bacterial properties of alcohol rubbing on the skin will lead to less sweating problems and also treat in the prevention of body odor.
Procedure: For the application of alcohol, you can use cotton balls or tissue pads. Pour few drops of alcohol on the cotton pad then scrub it on the skin.
Note: You can apply alcohol on a daily basis but avoid using it over sensitive skin or sensitive body part.
Whether it’s a party or a regular office day, no one wants to sit next to someone with a bad odor. So let’s hope that you get rid of your lousy body odors and replace them with good ones.
WISH YOU A LIFE OF PLEASANT SMELLS!