Tips on How to Use Vaginal Suppositories
Suppositories are meant to introduce the drug or medication in your body. The suppositories that are induced in the body through the opening of the vagina are referred to as vaginal suppositories. These suppositories make use of a special sort of applicator to induce the medicine.
The use of vaginal suppositories avails you with following benefits:
- Use of vaginal suppositories leads to quick absorption of drug or medicine.
- In comparison to oral medication, you can observe the result by use of suppositories at a faster rate.
- The suppository melts when you insert it in the body. And the drug inside it spreads in the bloodstream. The result is the better and faster treatment.
- Vaginal suppositories are helpful for those who cannot take up the medicines directly through the mouth.
These suppositories find its use against.
- Yeast infection.
- Birth Control.
The write-up below will help you completely on how to use the vaginal suppository.
Step By Step Guide For The Use Of Vaginal Suppository:
Hygiene is utmost important while taking medication with the help of vaginal suppository.
Before taking the vaginal suppository, you must be available with:
- A liquid hand wash or soap.
- Vaginal wash.
- Vaginal Suppository to be inserted.
- A well-washed towel or napkin.
- Water in a container.
- One or more sanitary napkins.
Preparation Before Insertion of Suppository:
- Your hands and vagina should be spotless.
- You must wash the vaginal area with a vaginal wash and warm water.
- You just need to wash the outer parts of the vagina and not inside your vagina. Keep in mind to obliterate the soap or vaginal wash from your skin.
- Tap it dry with the help of a fresh and clean towel.
- Open the packing around suppository (if any).
- If you are using the suppository that already contains applicator, then it is ready to use. Else put the suppository at the edge of the applicator.
- You need to insert the medicine or cream inside the applicator if it is not prefilled.
- Be careful while filling the cream, such that the contents are completely emptied in a suppository and do not ooze out.
- Once you finish up fixing of applicator and suppository, hold the applicator by the free end. The end is other than the end containing vaginal suppository.
Steps for Insertion of Suppository:
To insert the suppository in your vagina, take up with following steps:
- Decide a comfortable position for yourself before insertion.
- You may lie down on your back with your legs fold towards your stomach or stand with fold knees and gap between the legs.
- You should maintain the gap between the legs for ease of insertion.
- Though it’s comfortable to use the suppository while lying down. The best time to insert vaginal suppository is just before going to bed.
- The body will absorb the medicine properly without any leakage if you lie down after insertion. Walking around or standing may lead to flow out of medicine through the vagina.
- If you have to stand directly after insertion, use sanitary napkins. It will help you against straining due to leakage.
- Spread open the lips of your vagina. Keep the applicator on the opening of the vagina.
- Slowly insert the applicator into the vagina. You should insert it only to a depth it moves down gently.
- Now, push the plunger of your applicator to the maximum level. The plunger will help you to push the suppository at the right depth inside your vagina.
- Once you place the suppository, safely remove the applicator from your vagina.
Final Steps After Insertion:
- Lie down straight for some time after insertion. It will help you with proper absorption of the medicine.
- Throw off the applicator in case it is meant for one-time If the applicator is reusable, you should sterilize it and keep it in a clean, dry place to use next time.
- Discard all the other material you used.
- Apply some hand wash on your hand, rub it and wash off with warm water. Make sure you clean your hands and vaginal area properly.
- The medication should regularly be taken as per the direction of your physician.
- For effective results, do not skip the medication in between.
- Vaginal suppositories are safe to use, even during your menstrual cycle. So do not skip in between.
- Use sanitary napkins during and after insertion of a suppository, to protect your bed and clothes.
- Vaginal suppositories may leak often. So always wear your sanitary pads during insertion.
- Keep your suppository in water for few minutes. It makes the insertion easier.
- The suppositories tend to melt. So keep them in a cool place, when not in use.
- Do not use tampons, if you are liable to vaginal suppositories. Tampons tend to absorb the medicine. It will restrict the required amount of drug induction in the body.
- Clean your hands and vaginal area properly before you carry out the insertion. Else it may lead to the addition of bacteria along with the suppository in your vagina.
- Always see a doctor or read the instruction manual carefully to be well aware of the dosage.
The above-mentioned steps will help you with the smooth insertion of vaginal suppositories. You may take up with insertion yourself or ask for someone’s help. The steps of insertion would remain same and equally helpful in both the cases.
Though the suppositories are always safe to use, it may possess a small side effect. The drug may leak, or if you do not insert the suppository with proper care and hygiene, it may lead to irritation or redness in your vagina. Sometimes the side effects are observed if your body doesn’t accept the drug at all. So always take a professional guidance before using vaginal suppositories.