Who doesn’t love babies? And Wallah, when they are your babies, you can die for them.
The period of pregnancy followed by childbirth is the most cherished time of a woman’s life. All and sultry pampering you, your wishes are their commands, everyone running to your becks and calls; efforts are made to make you comfortable in every way possible way by friends and family members. You are the queen of the house.
Fond memories of pregnancy. But with these beautiful memories there come some despicable things. YES, you guessed it right baby – Stretchmarks.
Stretch marks occur due to tearing of the skin’s layer, dermis, the middle layer of skin. As your little one grows in your belly, so make the stretch marks. The skin does not keep pace with the growing proportions of the body. This causes the elastic fiber of skin to break, dermis tears, and hence the marks. So it’s this rapid expansion and stretching leads to the formation of stretch marks. One gains weight and along with it comes these stretch marks.
Stretch marks or medically called as striae. Stretch mark formation is maximum. It, not the belly alone that works as a canvas for these stretch marks. They also occur on hips, lower back, and buttocks, breasts, thighs as well. These are termed as striae gravid arum.
Stretch marks are a form of scarring on the skin, visible lines, streaks; may be long may be narrow; with an off-color hue varying according to the skin color, anything between pink to brown. Lighter the complexion, lighter colored are the stretch marks. So whatever color you may be, if you are a preggy woman, you are sure to have stretch marks.
Be it a fashion model, or a school teacher, an advocate or a banker, stretch marks worry all mothers. Scared of them, afraid of motherhood. Doctors and beauty experts suggest lasers, glycolic peels, creams, chemical peels and what not. While they are not only heavy on pocket, they do have serious adverse effect on your health, which is often not looked upon
Don’t be afraid to savor in motherhood. Enjoy motherhood. Be proud to be a mother. Worried how will you wear your favorite saree or skirt? Visible stretch marks. Not to worry. Here are some simple home remedies, using the ingredients available in your home, to do away with those stretch marks.
- Aloe Vera: This little green plant works magic. Just take some aloe vera gel directly from the plant itself or buy from the market. There are many companies selling aloe vera gel in various price ranges. Rub it on the areas you have stretch marks. Let it dry for 20 minutes. Wash it off. Repeat it every day. You can also leave it all night. Aloe vera is also a great moisturizer. You can thus skip your body lotion. Double benefits beauties.
Aloe vera contains vitamins A, B, C, E. It has healing properties as well. Natural aloe vera is obviously more beneficial. You can pot up a small plant in your kitchen garden or your balcony and use garden fresh aloe vera.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is great for skin. It repairs the skin like nothing else can. Break two vitamin capsule and ooze out the liquid portion. Apply it directly to the stretch marks. Massage its way into your skin. Let it dry for a good half an hour. Wash off with lukewarm water. You can follow this three times a week. It also makes the skin shinier. A happy skin is happy you.
- Oil Therapy: You can use any available oil from your kitchen itself. Olive oil, jojoba oil, mustard oil, coconut oil, ghee, almond oil, jojoba or any other. Oils moisturize the skin with no side effects. Moisturizer helps the skin to heal better. All you need is to massage the area where you have stretch marks with any of these oils. You increase the efficacy and to lock the moisturisation; you can place wrap the area with the transparent sheet or even transparent polyethene. Placing a hot water bottle also helps. Let the heat perspire deep inside the body.
Leave the oil for an hour. It is advisable to do this every morning before you take a bath. You can also do it twice a day for early yet effective results. Ayurveda has time and again stressed the importance of natural oils. These oils can be mixed with essential oils like lavender, jasmine, monogram to add fragrance along with moisturisation.
- Scrubbing: Scrubbing removes dead skin and stimulates blood flow. Scrub using a light rubbing cream of your stretch mark in a circular direction for five minutes but with soft hands. Wash off with lukewarm water. Do not be too harsh. It may cause damage.This should be done not more than twice a week.
- Vaseline: Every night before to go to bed massage the areas with Vaseline. This will not only make your skin supple but will accelerate its healing process by providing nourishment to the skin. Vaseline or petroleum jelly has no side effects. Besides this Vaseline is easy in the pocket and is readily available.
- Eggs: The white portion of the egg is a great source of protein. It also contains retinol that helps preserves the elasticity of the skin. It rejuvenates the skin and makes it fresh. It also contains enzymes and amino acids that help the marks to fade. Beat two egg whites in a bowl. Apply it on your stretch marks using a makeup brush. Let it dry for twenty-five minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Pat dry the area. This process should be followed daily to do away with those ugly stretch marks. Fifteen days and you will be surprised to see the changes. Thinking that you are wasting the yellow portion. NAAH, THE SAVIOUR IS HERE. Apply the yellow discarded portion of the egg on your head for shiny hair. So zero wastage.
- Drink-drink-drink: Obviously water. It is essential that the body is kept hydrated. Drink at least 6-7 glasses of water. This shall channelise the blood flow to the areas where you have a stretch mark. This improves circulation. Along with working for stretch marks, it helps to maintain body temperature, is good for skin and prevents sun tanning. In case you are unable to drink much water you can put lemon or cinnamon in it.
- Lemon: Lemons works wonders. It helps in collagen production, which in turn in the aid keep the skin flawless. It is also a skin lightening agent. It thus helps the scars in fading away. Squeeze a lemon and apply its juice directly. Wash it off with cold water after 10 minutes. This can be done every day to remove stretch marks. You can also use the left off of lemons, after making lemonade of rest and scrub its peels on your stretch marks. It also keeps anybody smells at bay.
- Gram Flour Pack: Mix a spoon of gram flour, a pinch of turmeric and half a tablespoon of curd. Make a thick paste and apply on stretch marks. Let it dry partially. Scrub it off. Repeat it twice in a week. Turmeric has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in removing any pigmentation. Gram Flour works as a scrub. Curd contains lactic acid that helps keeps the skin young and fresh. Generations have been benefitted from it.
- Potato: Rub a slice on stretch marks. It has bleaching properties and thus fastens the process of fading of stretch marks. You can also grate the potato and sieve out its juice using a muslin cloth and apply. Keep it for fifteen minutes. Pat dry. Potato also has vitamin B6 and minerals. Thus it also helps in restoration of skin.
- Honey: Using a cotton wool apply honey on stretch marks (Do not lick it off). LET IT DRY. Wash off with water. Do it every day for a month. You are bound to savor visible changes.
- Munch Green Salad: Remember your mother shouting on you for not taking vegetables. Now you are a mother. Green vegetable is a great source of Vitamin k which helps in preventing the formation of scars.Include vegetable like spinach, lettuce, mint, bitter gourd, cucumber, peas, cabbage in your daily diet.
- Oats: Rub oats on the stretch marks.It helps to remove dead skin cells. If you feel dry, mix the milk. Wash off with cold water. Try the doing it three times a week.
- Cocoa Butter: It is a great moisturizer and helps to make the skin elastic. Cocoa butter should be applied daily before going to bed. It will have an amazing effect. It can replace your night moisturizer as well. Twice a day application of cocoa butter makes the skin much healthier as well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It helps to remove blemishes and lightens scars. But it should not be applied directly to the skin as it is acidic in nature. Dilute it using water. It can be used as an overnight mask as well. You can put it in spray bottle nad spray over stretch marks. You can also apply it on cotton and rub over the marks. You can also use it in your bathing water.
- Sugar and Coffee: Sugar and coffee make a great scrub. Mix the two and apply on stretch marks using fingertips, massaging it in a circular motion. Rinse with water. This will help to exfoliate your skin. But be cautious not to do it more than once a week.
- Oranges: Orange contain vitamin c that is essential for healthy skin. Eat orange or drink a glass of orange juice.
- Black Tea: Not only drinking black tea is effective but also applying it. Black tea is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Using tea with cotton wool on stretch marks helps quite a deal in fading them. Keep it for fifteen minutes and was off. Don’t forget to dry. It helps in removing pigmentation from skin.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda has skin lightening and bleaching properties. Make a paste of baking soda with plain water and apply. Wash off and pat dry.
- Apricot Mask: Wondering what is an apricot mask. We will let you know. A mash of soft apricot. Apply it on skin. Wash it properly after twenty minutes. Yes, your skin will be glowing. Keep on repeating every day till your stretch marks vanish forever.
- Sandalwood Mask: This is an age old beauty secret. Make a mask of sandalwood and rose water. Apply using your fingers or brush. Let it dry for twenty minutes. Rinse off with regular water. Repeat it three times a week, especially after scrubbing.
- Apples: Apples are great for skin. Don’t forget the age old saying- an apple a day, keeps the doctor away. Apples are storehouses of antioxidants.
- Exercise: While oils, scrubs, masks; help to heal from outside, exercise helps from within. FORTY MINUTES exercise can go a long way. It will not only get you back in shape but shall also help in removing stretch marks. It will also boost your confidence.
- Coconut Water: You can also apply coconut water on stretch marks or was them off using fresh coconut water. Coconut helps in reducing the scars; it lightens them with time.
- Alfa Leaves: These are a great store of Vitamin K and Vitamin E. Make a paste of these leaves after cleaning them with fresh water. Apply this paste every day. Changes can be seen within a fortnight.
Preserving memories is essential but not stretch marks. Some marks are beautiful but not all, savor few, for the rest follow these steps religiously and bye bye ugly marks. A few minutes from your busy schedule can make a big difference.
LOVE THE SKIN YOU ARE IN.
Motherhood is difficult but rewarding. ENJOY IT…..
Don’t forget to be a YUMMY MUMMY