Top 12 Home Remedies to Treat Bronchitis
Bronchitis is an inflammation caused by a virus that leads to swelling of the bronchitis tube. Bronchitis can be caused by two forms acute and chronic.
Acute bronchitis can last up to one to three weeks whereas; chronic bronchitis can last up to 2 months to 2 years. Thus, chronic bronchitis is a problem for our immune system.
What Causes Bronchitis?
Respiratory disease is one of the primary causes of Bronchitis. Some reasons other than that are
- Infection of cold and cough which is transferable.
- Changes in the atmosphere where one’s immune system can’t bear it and take the time to adjust to new environment.
- Dust allergens.
Symptoms of Bronchitis:
- Excess mucus.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- White color mucus.
- Tightest in the chest.
- Heavy breathing.
- Body pain.
- Cold and cough.
People often reach for countertop medicines but, you can cure it with few simple home remedies. So get your hands to your kitchen cupboard to treat bronchitis naturally.
Some of the natural ways to treat Bronchitis are discussed below:
Honey is full of antiviral and antibacterial properties. It has all the essentials to treat bronchitis easily. Honey not only soothes the throat but also help you to build your immune system.
- Add one tsp of honey in warm water. Now add few drops of lemon juice to it. Consume it daily to cure congestion and inflammation.
- Alternatively, add one Tsp of honey in your regular green tea.
Humidify Your Surroundings:
Using a cool or hot humidifier will help in adding moisture to your surrounding. This ensures to remove a cough out from the body.
The other way out, if you don’t have humidifier is to take a hot shower simply. The steam produced from the hot water helps in removing congestion and loosen up your mucus.
Give Rest to Your Body:
Your body needs rest to recover while some infection attacks you. Adequate sleep maintains a healthy immune system.
The study reveals that sleep deprived people are more vulnerable to catch a cough and cold and eventually bronchitis.
Ginger is often used to treat a cough and cold. Its anti-inflammatory properties boost your immune system.
- ½ Tsp of ginger.
- ½ Tsp of clove.
- ½ Tsp of cinnamon.
- 1 cup warm water.
- Mix the entire
- Let it rest in warm water for 1-2 minutes.
- Sieve and consume it daily for 1-2 weeks.
- One tsp of ginger powder.
- One tsp of black pepper powder.
- 1 cup water.
- Bring water to boil.
- Add both 1 Tsp of ginger powder and one tsp black pepper powder.
- Let it steep for few minutes.
- Strain it and add 1 Tsp of honey in it.
- Consume it as a tea daily.
Drink Plenty of Liquid:
Drinking plenty of liquid will make up to throw the toxins out of your body in the form of urine. Drinking lot of water also helps in thinning of the mucus.
Any warm liquid proves to be soothing in bronchitis. If at all, you are not sick drinking lots of water eight glasses per day will keep you healthy.
Garlic acts as highly beneficiary ingredient especially in treating acute bronchitis.
- 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- A glass of milk.
- Peel and chop 3-4 garlic cloves.
- Boil milk with the chopped garlic.
- Simmer it for few minutes.
- Consume daily before going to bed.
- Make sure not to drink water from
It helps in lessening the soreness and coughing.
- Oregano oil.
- Put few drops of oregano oil under your tongue.
- Repeat this daily once a day for two
Turmeric is a goddess to treat almost all kind of diseases. Turmeric helps to a great extent to cure bronchitis. Turmeric increases the antioxidant activities, which helps in reducing irritation and boosts your immune system.
- ½ Tsp of turmeric powder.
- One tsp of honey.
- Mix both ½ Tsp of turmeric powder and 1 Tsp of honey in a bowl.
- Consume this paste 3-4 times in a day till bronchitis symptoms last.
- One tsp turmeric powder.
- One tsp jaggery.
- One glass of milk.
- Bring milk to boil.
- Add one tsp of turmeric powder and 1 Tsp of jaggery into it.
- Consume it daily for one week before going to bed.
Eat Spicy Food:
Yes, you have read it right spicy food helps against congestion. Spicy food like Tabasco, mustard sauce helps in loosen up bronchitis secretion.
The spicy food contains a chemical known as capsaicin that thinners up the mucus. A spice like cayenne can also be used which boosts the blood flow and helps in treating bronchitis.
Adding eucalyptus to your steam bath or in your bed while sleeping will help in thinning the mucus. It also helps in relieving congestion and improves the function of the respiratory system.
- 2 cups of boiling water.
- Eucalyptus oil.
- A towel.
- Add few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water.
- Take steam while covering your head with a towel.
- Alternatively, you can also apply eucalyptus oil directly on your chest.
Load up your vitamin D as it prevents cold and eventually bronchitis too. Sunlight is the source to loads it up but, taking too much can also lead to skin cancer.
A small amount of morning sunlight without sunscreen can do the trick to boost up your vitamin D intake.
If you live in less sun expose area fatty fish, canned tuna fish, mushrooms, orange juice and egg yolks can also help in boosting up the Vitamin D.
Gargling with salt water three to four times a day will soothe the throat and eventually the infection too.
- One tsp of salt water.
- One glass of warm water.
- Mix 1 Tsp of salt in warm
- Gargle with it few times.
- Rinse off your mouth.
- You can repeat this three to four times in a day.
Being, rich in vitamin C boosts up your immune system and helps in treating bronchitis.
- 3-4 wedges of lemon.
- One glass water.
- Boil water along with lemon wedges.
- Let it simmer for three to four minutes.
- Strain the water and consume it.
Onion has an antibacterial and antiviral property which helps in soothing inflammation and soreness of the throat.
- One raw onion.
- Extract 1 tsp of juice from raw onion.
- Consume it daily empty stomach in the morning.
- The most common cause of bronchitis is smoking to try to quit smoking if you want a healthy lifestyle.
- Wear a protective mask if you are an allergen to dust, pollutants or fumes or if you work in an area which has exposure to dust, fumes,
- If you are around someone, who is already suffering from cold make sure to wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your hand to the face.
- Make sure to increase your vitamin C intake as it builds up your immune system and helps in preventing any flu.
- Drinking 8 glasses of water daily will flush out the toxin from a body and prevent you from catching any disease.
- Exercise daily at least for 20 minutes to keep your respiratory system working in a healthy way.
- Use a humidifier to keep your atmosphere less prone to catch a cold and cough and, make sure to clean it up on a regular basis.
It is good to treat the diseases at home initially rather than fastening the rush to the doctor. Most of the diseases can be easily treated at home. Using the above-mentioned ways can greatly help to relieve bronchitis.