Home Remedies for Colitis
The Colitis is said to be the disease that causes the inflammation of colon and rectum. It is considered as the condition of the autoimmune in which the immune system of the body attacks the healthy tissues that cause inflammation.
The exact reason of this disease is still not known, but it is also said that the combination of environmental and genetic factors contribute the disease. If you are taking a lot of stress, then this also worsen the situation.
Colitis includes the symptoms like diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, rectal bleeding and the pus because of the ulcers and sores in the inner lining of the large intestines. Many of the symptoms come and go, but also 5 to 10% of people suffer from these all the time.
There’s no medication or cure for these symptoms, but there are some natural remedies that can give you some relief from these.
The Top Best Home Remedies to Prevent Colitis
1. Aloe Vera
The research has shown that Aloe Vera helps in preventing mild to moderate Colitis because of its unique properties.
- Take one-quarter cup of its gel seven to eight times a day in case you experience any of the symptoms.
- Or, drink two spoons of its juice with a glass of water, two to three times a day for certain weeks.
You can also think of adding some turmeric powder to your juice or gel as it contains curcumin that works as the best agent.
2. Olive Oil
Olive Oil is the best home ingredients that help in preventing Colitis. The oil is rich in fats and also contains some extra properties. The research has also shown that it helps in protection against the problems.
Take two or three spoons of olive oil in your food daily.
3. Slippery Elm
The slippery elm helps in protecting from colitis. It forms a gel on the lining of the bowl due to its content. It also helps in adding the bulk to the stool that prevents diarrhea.
- Add one spoon of powdered slippery elm in one glass of hot water and let it get mixed for few minutes. Drink twice daily to see the best results.
- You can also add one spoon of slippery elm and sugar in two glasses of hot water. Drink it twice daily.
4. Fish Oil
The properties of fish oil and its Omega-3 fatty acid help in preventing Colitis. The Omega 3 fatty acid is an unsaturated fatty acid that reduces inflammation.
Research has shown that the patients who suffer from gastrointestinal disorders tend to be having abnormal profiles of fatty acids. For the Colitis, start taking one gram of fish supplements daily and increase those by two to four grams.
5. Wheat Grass Juice
This is beneficial for patients suffering from Colitis because of its antioxidant properties. It reduces the symptoms like diarrhea, rectal bleeding and abdominal pain in the chronic condition.
Start drinking four spoons of this juice daily and then reduce the drinking capacity up to 3.5 ounces daily.
6. Psyllium Seeds
The seeds are rich in fiber and work as a bulk agent thus improving the gut mobility that reduces mild to moderate diarrhea that is caused by Colitis.
Add half to two spoons of seeds in one cup of warm water and drink before it gets thick. Repeat once daily until in the improvement of health. Those who are the beginners, start with half spoon and then increase the medication. While using this, drink lots of water to prevent constipation.
Also, before taking this remedy, consult your doctor as it worsens the symptoms in many cases. Do not take this, if you are suffering from spasms or bowel obstructions.
This is also known as methi, which helps in reducing the symptoms of Colitis by forming the coating along the digestive system. It also provides nutrition as it is rich in all the vitamins like A, C, iron, protein and other nutrients as well.
- Add one spoon of crushed seeds in one glass of hot water.
- Let it mix for three to five minutes.
- Drink it once daily until the improvement.
Calendula is a kind of herb that prevents symptoms of Colitis. It also improves digestion and heals the tissues.
- Put two spoons of its flowers in one glass of hot water.
- Let it steep for 15 minutes approx.
- Consume the drink two or three times a day.
It can be helpful as it gets the digestion system on track and also has excellent properties.
- Add three spoons of dry flower in one glass of hot water.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and then strain.
- Drink this three times a day if the symptoms continue.
The study has published in the year 2008 that ginger is helpful in preventing all the symptoms of Colitis only because of its antioxidant properties.
- Keep the two spoons of grated ginger in one glass of water. Boil it and keep on sim for approx. 10 minutes. Strain it and drink the tea. You can also add few drops of honey and lemon juice in it. Drink for few weeks until you see any improvement.
- You can also go for the supplements of ginger after consulting a doctor.
Except all the home remedies mentioned above, you can also control the carbohydrates by cutting down on refined carbohydrates and also eliminate all the food allergens from your food and diet.
Take all the probiotics, drink lots of water, and eat five to six small meals instead of two or three large meals. Consider eating meals that are large in nutrients and also take multi vitamin tablets because the colitis also intervenes with the ability of the body to absorb the nutrients.
Even after taking all the medications mentioned above, if you are still not getting any benefit; then it is better to consult the doctor before the symptoms get worse.