Health Benefits of Oranges
10 Ways Oranges Can Help Keep You Healthy
We all are well acquainted with the proverb “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but did you know that we can say the same for an orange? It’s true.
Here are some quick facts about Oranges:
- Orange trees are the greatest cultivated fruit trees in the world.
- Oranges are considered as a juicy and sweet fruit which have a high concentration of vitamin C.
- Their natural sweetness and broad diversity of types make a perfect snack.
- Their variety of uses from marmalades to juices complement many recipes by adding a distinctive tang to them.
- They can also be used as face masks and are also considered as one of the prime ingredients in many beauty products.
- It is no wonder that Oranges have been one of our favorite fruits of winter. Of course, some seasonal variations are also available during summer.
Besides these, there are a lot of things that we don’t know about this juicy fruit. Did you know that an Orange has over 60 flavonoids and more than 170 different phytochemicals? The health benefits of Oranges are countless. They are not only low in calories but also full of nutrients that promote healthy skin and can help to lower the risk for many terrible diseases and conditions.
Here are ten ways oranges can help keep you healthy:
- They Protect You Against Cancer
Oranges contain phytochemicals and are rich in citrus limonoids, which can fight cancer.
Orange juice can prevent kidney diseases
Drinking orange juice in moderate amount regularly can keep kidney diseases at bay. They can even reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- They Can Lower Cholesterol.
Oranges are full of soluble fiber, which are helpful in lowering cholesterol.
- Can Prevent Stroke Boost Heart Health.
Oranges are rich in potassium, an electrolyte mineral that helps in regular heart function. Oranges can also lower ischemic stroke risk for women.
- Fight Against Viral Infections.
The abundance of polyphenols in oranges helps fight against viral infections.
- Relieve Constipation.
The dietary fiber in Oranges stimulates digestive juices and relieves constipation.
- Protects Vision.
Being rich in carotenoid compounds, oranges produce vitamin A in our body which prevent macular degeneration.
- Regulate High Blood Pressure.
Oranges are rich in magnesium, which helps maintain blood pressure. The flavonoid hesperidin present in this fruit can help control high blood pressure by maintaining a low sodium intake.
- Good for Skin.
Oranges have beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that protects the cells from damage. It also prevents the signs of aging.
- Alkalize the Body.
Although oranges are acidic, they produce alkaline minerals once you digest them. This helps to balance out the body.
So, you see the juicy and pulpy orange fruit can act as part of your overall healthy. You must consider keeping a bowl of oranges on your kitchen table or counter and enjoy the taste of freshly squeezed orange juice every morning.